Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Happy 6th Birthday Rudy Boy!



Oh how I love this kid! And Rudy's birth story is my favorite, so here it is:

6 years ago today, I showed up at the hospital with one of my closest friends, Tracy. She and I were going to be induced on the exact same day, exact same hospital, just a few rooms away (we didn't plan this...our doctors did it without us knowing)! Unfortunately, I was due and Tracy was early, and since so many mamas were in labor, they sent Tracy home. Boy was I sad!

Anyway...they started the induction process around 10am for me and around 1130 they came and gave me my epidural. About 3 seconds later when I laid back down, I felt like it was time to push. The nurses laughed at me and told me my doctor was already on her way back to her office...probably going to be awhile. They were wrong. I was pushing, they were calling my doc to get back here immediately, and a nurse was gowning and gloving getting ready to catch that baby in case the doc didn't make it back. Needless to say, an epidural needs more than 3 seconds to start working and it was clear to me that it was going to be completely ineffective. The nice (large) anesthesiologist was standing at the head of my bed calmly as I screamed at him, "MAKE IT WORK! PLEASE!" He replied, "Honey, I think you're just going to have to do this on your own."

So...in a moment that Jason says was my ONLY moment of clarity during the entire labor, I stopped, looked at the many men and women in my room (nurses, students, anesthesiologist, and who knows who else), and told them: "This baby's name will be Rudy. So I would advise you all to start chanting 'Ru-dy! Ru-dy! Ru-dy!' RIGHT NOW so that this baby will come quickly." And...they did...JUST like in the movie. I wish I had that moment videotaped, it was absolutely hilarious. Rudy DID come quickly---about 15 minutes later---and is to this day my fastest runner, quickest to give a hug, and never one to just sit back and watch the action. This is why right now, he has his SECOND broken bone in less than a year (the left wrist this time---see photo above). Here's how he did it:


The boy climbs walls, doorframes, anything he can. And preferably in his tighty whiteys!

And my friend, Tracy? She got to come back to the hospital the next day and sweet Taylor Lynn was born...the two have been birthday buddies ever since!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUDY! We love you so much!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUDY! We love you so much!

Love,
Mom and Dad

3 comments:

Wade and Megan said...

It's great to hear the Rudy birth story again! I love it!

Elissa said...

Happy Birthday Rudy!

Lily was looking over my shoulder as I read that post and said, "Oh, Rudy. He have boobies."

We miss you guys!!

lillian08 said...

I have never laughed so hard in my life! You have made my day...
That is the GREATEST story EVER!
Love you,
Jen