Monday, April 23, 2007

This devotion from Proverbs 31 ministries was found on my yahoo group today and I thought it was perfect for today! This wait is excruciating...there has been absolutely no movement for almost a month, but God is good and we know His timing is perfect!

April 23, 2007

You Will Not Be Forgotten

By Glynnis Whitwer

"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a
day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day."
2 Peter 3:8 (NIV)

Devotion:

When my third child was born, my oldest was three. And they were
all active boys!My husband and I were outnumbered and my life was
completely up-ended. For the next three years I couldn't even go
shopping at Target by myself with the kids. While one raced down
the aisle, the toddler climbed out of the cart. Meanwhile, the
baby, who disliked being confined from the moment of his birth,
screamed! I was a mess! I felt like climbing over the cart and
racing down the aisle screaming myself.

In those difficult three years I kept trying to regain my old life.
An organizer and leader by nature, I'd volunteer to oversee
something at church and then make my kids and me miserable trying to
get it done. My heart is heavy when I remember the times I dragged
my three little boys to one event or another, only to leave angry
and in tears because they couldn't sit still.

Instead of accepting my life as it was, I plowed ahead, wanting to
serve God and feeling certain He was pleased with my sacrifices.
The problem was that my innocent children made the real sacrifice by
enduring my non-stop lifestyle. I wish with all my heart that
someone had taken me out to coffee and helped me get some
perspective. I was too blind to see.

What I know now is that sometimes God calls us to a new mission
field that on the surface looks like we've been called out of
the "game." But nothing could be further from the truth! Those
three years I was afraid to stop pursuing my goals in case an
opportunity might pass me by. Instead I missed the opportunity to
minister more deeply to my children passed me by.

Second Peter 3:8 says, "But do not forget this one thing, dear
friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a
thousand years are like a day" (NIV). Although this verse is
speaking about the Lord's return, I believe it can be applied to any
time of "waiting." God doesn't see time as we do. Three years
seems like an eternity, when it's really just a breath in time. The
first part of verse 9 offers hope to those who think opportunities
are passing them by and God has forgotten them: "The Lord is not
slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness."

I wish someone had told me that God would not forget me, that I was
right where He wanted me, and that I should relax and see the
opportunities He had placed in front of me. Even though my days
felt like years, they really were just a blink. At least, that's
what I know now …

Heavenly Father, I praise You for Your faithfulness. No matter what
my circumstances look like to me, I know You have not forgotten me.
Help me to see Your hand in every moment of my day, and to look for
ways to serve You and those around me. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: